Sunday, August 26, 2018

Trinket boxes


In 2015 I started to collect vintage trinket boxes. The smaller they are the more delicate they are the more I love them. There's a reason why I collect trinket boxes and maybe one day I will post a new blog about the reason. I just wanted to share with you guys a little bit of my ccurrently I am obsessed with micromosaic trinket boxes. my very first micromosaic trinket box was purchased from Columbus antique Mall which is about 30 minutes from Madison and Columbus Wisconsin. If you guys have not checked it out plan to spend one whole day there. They do close at 4 PM so you want to go there early. It's pretty much A huge warehouse that's three floors full of antique vendors displaying their items. I used to go there almost at least once a month. But now with kids we hardly ever go. I did however do my son's first year photo shoot there with all the items they had we were able to get a really cute photos.

 

I also have started loving the clonossien asian boxes with the blue inside. I didn't realize they came in very small sizes. My newest addition is that little blue vase looking at one at the top they are next to the big silver box. It has a removable top which is so adorable. The silver box in the back actually is from my husband for our 10 year anniversary that something he got for me that he engraved.


as I started collecting micromosaic i've started to realize how similar they are to Hmong paaj ntaub.  my mom always referred to certain pieces as "mog mog". I never really understood what that meant until I started to collect my own traditional hmong pieces. so the word actually means the delicacy of the piece. So when you look for traditional pieces you want to look at how they stitch the items together. You want the stitches to be as tiny as possible and the fabric lines that they have embroidered together to be very fine. Those pieces are the best pieces to purchase. another thing you want to look for is the corners. The corners need to be a sharp point where the fabric is folded nicely into the edge. If it is not nicely folded in the edge you might not be getting the best quality of the item. These days there are a lot of productions so you really need to keep an eye out for quality items. Even though they are last in price you might not be getting what you're paying for. A couple years back I purchased two small baby dresses that were traditionally made. I love them in the pictures but when I receive them the ribbons that they sold on we're already freezing and the quality was just horrible. I paid about $90 per dress. And I was pretty disappointed in it.  so I would recommend if you are making a large purchase for any long and rotary to have the seller take tons of pictures for you front and back and the corners to a sure that it is a well-made. I know right now for a big plus the two sashes salt for almost $500. It would be unfortunate if you pay that much money and recved A poorly made item.  I will do a blog posts of that in another post.






here is a sneak peek of behind the scenes of my pearls that are flat that I use for my ID reels and my trinket boxes.





No comments:

Post a Comment

What I have been up to...

Hmong Creations  |  Pang Nya Yang   Hi everyone! Horray! 3500 sales on Etsy in 2 years! THANK YOU ALL! What a g...